The Role of the health and safety policy indecision making
Health and safety policy is a well thought out document created by top management in consultation with workers and other stakeholders. It sets about mentioning what the company needs to pursue health and safety goals, what role each one will have to achieve it, and what method should be adopted to achieve it.
The Policy influence decision-making within the organization.
Policies are different for different organizations
It should be clear to us that a policy written for a company may not be suitable for another organization of various changes like location, product, process, equipment etc. Some industries are inherently high risk, such as oil and gas installations their requirements and policies will be completely different from cement manufacturing plant.. Every organization it is free to make its own policies and procedures, but the only requirement here is health and safety to be managed correctly, there should be legal compliance and system must be constantly improved.
Q. Outline the purpose of organization’s health and safety polity
- It sets out management commitment towards health and safety.
- It demonstrates good business practice and helps in meeting compliance.
- A clear and concise policy contributes to business efficiency and continual improvement.
- Minimize financial loss by reducing accidents.
- Leads to workforce co-operation, job satisfaction and productivity.
- A systematic approach to risk assessment.
- Protect the Health and safety and welfare of the workforce.
- supports quality improvement programs for continual improvement.
- Essential components of positive safety culture.
Q. Identifies the ways in which the health and safety policy of the organization can be communicated with in the workforce.
- By displaying a copy of policy on notice board at prominent locations.
- By making policy and agenda item during safety committee meetings.
- By reflecting the policy during toolbox talk and training.
- By uploading the policy on the companies websites.
- By inserting the copy of the policy with the employees pay slips.
- By distributing the copy of the policy through leaflets or brochures etc.